01 September 2009

Update on Demon Soap Fairies and Rebatched Efforts

I did get my new 9 volt battery and before changing out the battery, I weighed the entire batch of soap. I had 48 oz more soap than I should have had, and it definitely was super, super fatted. It was a soft, crumbly oily mess. I broke it up, recalculated the lye requirements for what I had and added in the difference in lye solution between what I initially used and what I should have used. I put it all into my stainless steel soap pot and began the melt for rebatch on my stove pot. Once it had melted down fairly well, I took my stick blender and blended and stirred the soap first then added the remaining lye solution to that and blended adn stirred that until entirely and thoroughly mixed. I then put the soap pot into the oven on 225 F and cooked it, checking it every 15 - 20 minutes and stirring it some more. I prepared my 4 lb and 6 lb molds with freezer paper and after 2-1/2 hours in the oven, I took the soap out, stirred it one last time and then glopped and slammed it in to my molds. The following day (2 days ago) I unmolded it, cut it, and beveled the edges. Because of the higher percentage of coconut oil, I will cure it much longer than my usual soaps (3 months or more) and it should have become more mild by then. It is not caustic now, no bite when I tongue test, but just not as mild as my high Olive oil soaps. Although I'm bummed out by the loss of any swirl effect, the chrome green has made a nice medium light green in the soap and it looks quite nice. I have a soap ball of scraps at my kitchen sink and it lathers up really nicely! I'm please over all with the final results.

I've now replaced the scale battery and have my backup postal scale set up with a new battery as well. My next several batches will be made by weighing all my ingredients twice. The soap making demon fairies can't be that clever, right? LOL.

Blessings,
Rebalspiritrobi
Thor's - Leader of the Pack Bath & Body

No comments:

Post a Comment